The Swan Golf Designs (SGD) led renovation of the King’s Course at Bled in Slovenia is now well underway, with ground having been broken in January 2015 and Phase One of the project well on schedule to be completed by early June.
SGD has been working at the prestigious golf complex of 27 holes for a considerable number of years, but was appointed by the new owners to mastermind a comprehensive redesign and renovation of one of central Europe’s premier golf courses, with all aspects of the facility falling within the scope of the project. The brief provided by the clients was interpreted to include improvements to five key features:
- Improved Challenge – through increased course length, reduced par, more testing contours and borrows to the enlarged Greens and more penal hazards.
- Improved Playing Strategy – through greater variety of tees, improved bunkering to encourage more thoughtful shot selection and wider playing areas to increase fairness for the lesser golfer.
- Improved Quality – through a modern and high quality technical specification for greens, tees, bunkers and fairways, better drainage, better irrigation, better soil profiles and better grasses.
- Improved Environmental Management – through two hectares of water storage, an integrated water collection and recycling system and the reuse of on-site resources such as timber, stone and sand.
- Improved Ecology – through working with local forestry and wildlife consultants in partnership with Triglav National Park to improve the alpine woodland, improve the grassland and wildflower meadows, and to provide a wider range of habitats for indigenous mammals, birds and insects.
SGD is undertaking the design and project management roles on behalf of Golf Course Bled, and is leading a project team which takes advantage of Slovenian expertise supported by proven international contractors from seven different nations.